[open-science] science.okfn.org: New Local Groups Page

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:50:27 UTC 2011

(Rajarshi: read below)

Hi Christopher,

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI)
[C] <maloneyc at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov> wrote:
> I’ve never tried to do something quite like this before, so I’d really like
> to get suggestions for the best way to go about it.  Here are some specific
> questions:
>
> -          Do you think it’s a good idea?

I can say that for the Stockholm group, we are starting pretty small.
Because holiday had already started, the first meeting was just with
me and a former colleague :)

> -          Would it be best to get a select group of people committed to the
> idea first, before sending out any kind of announcement?

We just started and we'll see this autumn if it really takes off.
Prognoses are good, though, and it seems to me that (gold) Open Access
has been very successful in taking the 'Open' idea to a next level,
where Open Source did not quite have the same effect... this is more
an personal perception than a factual observation.

> -          More generally, any advice on the timing of rolling it out, so as
> hopefully to draw the most interest, would be appreciated.

Since you are in the neighborhood, you might be interested in this
meeting in Frederick (hosted by NCI), where you'll find similarly
minded people. I know from Rajarshi Guha (NIH something, cc-ed) that
several people from NIH will be at that meeting, and perhaps even
colleagues? (dunno the NIH organizational structure really).

http://lanyrd.com/2011/chemdbopenchem/

> -          Any advice on how to run the group – details of running meetings,
> etc.

We're taking an informal, we-all-wanna-learn-and-share-experiences
approach. Networking first, and then action will come automatically.
Well, that's my idea here in Stockholm :)

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher