[open-science] openSNP

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Sat Dec 3 14:38:32 UTC 2011

Hi Jenny,

Personal Genome Project (http://www.personalgenomes.org/ ) is much
older (PGP is five years old, see
http://www.nature.com/msb/journal/v1/n1/full/msb4100040.html ). There
are few other similar projects developed later, for example Genomes
Unzipped. Both PGP and GU use CC0 for data and PGP has phenotypic data
available as well.

Given the licensing, having more of such services like OpenSNP, PGP,
GU or whatever else is actually a good idea. You could present the
idea and gather data from culturally different societes (apparently
none of expert judges had any knowledge in the field - neither PGP or
GU is targeted at people outside of personalized medicine/genomics).

Cheers
PS