[open-science] [okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:08:59 UTC 2011

My original conception of the idea, was to look at every publisher that
labels articles as "open access" - this exact phrase. From there, I
assessed what licence (if any) could be found to support this self-applied
label.

It's technically challenging to do. I'm not too familiar with
'publisher-space' - it's a large unknown and relatively unmapped territory
to me. I have no idea how complete my list is for instance WRT STM
publishers.

I could only find positive evidence that a few were truly Open Access (as
per the Budapest Declaration), most in my interpretation are labelled "open
access" and not really Open Access (i.e. they explicitly exclude some
uses), and for others there's simply a lack of data - I can't determine
what their policy is.

I was just going to put BMC and PLoS on for clarity and completeness
actually, and further sort out the spreadsheet to make things clearer.
Apologies if any confusion was caused, the spreadsheet is far from finished
- if you spot any errors or can make any additions, then please go ahead!

The colour highlighting that PMR suggested indicates the true Open Access
schemes / publishers I believe.

Regards,

Ross

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Graham Steel
<steelgraham7 at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Comment from Pete Binfield, PLoS ONE
>
> Graham Steel
> 5:56 PM (24 minutes ago)
>
> to Peter, Liz
> Good point.
>
> I'll flag this up.
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Peter Binfield <pbinfield at plos.org>wrote:
>
> That’s what I thought. So why are CC-BY journals on it? (e.g. Sage Open)

Ross Mounce
PhD Student
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath
4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce