[open-science] Compiling licence details for all open access journals in UK PubMedCentral (or PMC)

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Tue Dec 13 17:23:12 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-13, at 5:24 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

Note that the US government has always (at least as far as I remember) required that its publications are Open. Staff in (say) NIH publishing papers are required to make them open and not to hand over copyright. How much it actually happens in the pages of the journals I don't know.

Perhaps this is something that the EU could address for its agencies. Or maybe it takes the same line as the US.

Comment:

A search of PubMed for " Research Support, N.I.H., Intramural [pt]" on December 11, 2011 yields the following percentages of fulltext:

Within 60 days of publication:  12% (this figure varies, no clear gains since 2008)
Within 3 years of publication:  66% (this figure has steadily risen from 43% in 2008)

To my knowledge, there is no way of figuring out what percentage is open access as opposed to freely available, regardless of how one defines open access.

Full data available for download from my dataverse (thanks to Harvard), at:
http://dvn.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/dv/dgoa

See the latest full data edition, 3rd tab (PMC free).

This spreadsheet is currently licensed as CC-BY-NC-SA. I have meaning to consider an appropriate data license, but have lost track of open data licensing discussions. Should I be looking at Panton Principles or an Open Knowledge license? Advice appreciated.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctoral Candidate, Simon Fraser University School of Communication
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com