[open-science] Compiling licence details for all open access journals in UK PubMedCentral (or PMC)

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 13 13:24:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What qualifies a journal to get onto this sheet?
>
> I've taken a slightly more inclusive approach than PMR actually.
>
> I've included more than just OAhybrid journals.
>
> My position is that it should be a survey of all research publications
> (e.g. journals, articles) that claim or self-label themselves as "open
> access". Many as we have discovered are in fact NOT Open Access as per
> the Budapest Declaration, despite this self-applied label.

The analysis of "all" journals is a task that we shouldn't expect any
single person to even think about! (there are 26000 journals I think). Ross
has already spent valuable PhD time on this  and deserves huge thanks.

My motivation in suggesting this was that I or OKF could then have clear
evidence to take back to funders and show that their "paid Open Access" was
a substandard product (i.e. did not conform with the BOAI declaration or
with SPARC's present position (I hope I'm right on that)). We would then
urge funders to insist that they require at least CC-BY. My intention was
to get an OKF document that summarised the present position and take it to
funders, government, MPs, etc. When governments are requiring Open data,
why are we accepting less at great cost for science. It's even possible
that if a givernment agency published its own report it would now by CC-BY
but that in a scholarly publication it would tbe restricted to CC-NC by the
publisher.

Note that the US government has always (at least as far as I remember)
required that its publications are Open. Staff in (say) NIH publishing
papers are required to make them open and not to hand over copyright. How
much it actually happens in the pages of the journals I don't know.

Perhaps this is something that the EU could address for its agencies. Or
maybe it takes the same line as the US.

P.