[open-science] LODD on CKAN (was Minutes from WG Meeting Feb 16 2011)

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 15:27:41 UTC 2011

Some of us were discussing on Tuesday aspects of coordination in the OKF and
particularly what activities newcomers could be involved in. The idea that
emegred was that a significant core part of OKF activity was requesting and
annotating Open Data. In particular we felt that newcomers to OKF could get
a feel for the ethos and community by making data requests using
IsItOpenData.

This is an activity that scales well (by country, language, discpline, etc.)
so that a newcomer to OKF can usually find something that is relevant to
them. By carrying out an IIOD/LODD activity in their area of expertise they
will find out those others in OKF who have similar interests.  If we can
identify clear simple tasks in this area it's a good way af getting
newcomers active and involved.

P.