[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 12:01:58 UTC 2011

The ccZero waiver (and I think PDDL?) try to cover this by saying firstly
that you give up any rights that you have, and that you are able to give up
and you commit to not pursuing legal redress for any rights that you can't
give up. As was pointed out to me you can't in a legal sense actually "put
something into the Public Domain", it either is or it isn't. What you're
doing with PDDL/CC0 is making something interoperable with the public
domain. It's usually not a terribly important distinction but there are ways
in which you can get tripped up at least in theory.

On 12/01/2011 08:52, "Ignasi Labastida i Juan" <ilabastida at ub.edu> wrote:

> Dear Marius,
>
> Good point. However, legally speaking, there are jurisdictions where
> authors cannot waive all rights or put a work in the public domain,
> mainly continental european jurisdictions. In fact, there are some
> rights, called moral rights, that last forever. Among those rights
> there is the right of attribution.
>
> Best,
>
> Ignasi
>
> 2011/1/12 Marius Kempe <m.kempe at qmul.ac.uk>:
>> Dear All,
>> I've started a question on Quora to discuss the topic of whether scientific
>> texts (rather than data) should be put into the public domain rather than
>> licensed under CC-BY, as it seems an important issue which hasn't been
>> extensively discussed. The discussion is
>> at http://www.quora.com/Should-scientific-writing-be-put-into-the-public-doma
>> in -
>> I'd be grateful for any thoughts, particularly from people with legal
>> backgrounds.
>> Best wishes,
>> Marius

Scanned by iCritical.