[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Marius Kempe m.kempe at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 15:38:43 UTC 2011

1) You said it yourself - "a few dozen lines of code can pull in data from a
large number of source, potentially making it tricky to keep track of all
the attributions". One day not very far from today, scientific texts will be
the raw data of natural language science knowledge engines, and then the
situation for text will be exactly the same as that for data. Using CC0
today will make this easier in the future, for all the same reasons that you
support CC0 for data.

2) Using CC0 simplifies the science IP landscape; it would allow us to tell
unconverted scientists to simply use the public domain for all works, rather
than a hodgepodge of CC0 for data, CC-BY for PLoS One, CC-BY-NC for Nature's
Scientific Reports, etc etc. Much simpler to say: publicly funded science
belongs in the public domain.

Best,
Marius

A footnote: Google did not provide snippets of copyrighted books "without
much trouble" - they fought a long, protracted legal battle that cost them
more than $100 million (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Book_Search_Settlement_Agreement).