[open-science] Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Ignasi Labastida i Juan ilabastida at ub.edu
Thu Jan 13 08:45:55 UTC 2011

I've been reading all the discussion and I have a point from the legal
part, althought I am not a lawyer.
In many European countries, basically the ones that follow the french
"droit d'auteur" system, two moral rights are "perpetual": atribution
and intergity. It means that when a work is in the public domain, i.e.
free to be used without restricions, those two moral rights are still
there.
I think CC0 is a good tool and I agree in defending norms instead of
legal obligations but in my opinion the use of CC0 in a work in some
European countries has the same effect that a CCBy because of those
two "perpetual" moral rights.
I think in the UK things are different, and of course in the US or Canada.

I am also playing devil's advocate because I support the defense and
the improvement of the public domain and in fact I have proposed to
change the Spanish law to include the possibility to dedicate works to
the public domain without wainting to the end of the copyright term.

Best

Ignasi