[open-science] some jump Re: Should scientific text be put in the public domain rather than licensed with CC-BY?

Marius Kempe m.kempe at qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 14:19:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I applaud your gesture. I'd just like to point out that the language used on
the article is contradictory:
"© The Author. This article is provided under the following license:
Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0) Public Domain
Dedication<http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>
 "

The work can be copyrighted by the author or public domain, but not both.
Also, CC0 is only partly a license; first and foremost it's a waiver, and it
only uses licensing as a fall-back option.

In general, these sorts of issues are the sorts of things people need to be
educated about if the public domain is to become a normal venue for
publishing science.

Best,
Marius