[open-science] OAI7 Open Science Workshop - Vote results

David F. Flanders d.flanders at jisc.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 19:38:20 UTC 2011

Hello - Seems like far more than a week since OAI7 in Geneva!  I hope you
all had good journeys home.

As promised I am passing back the notes from the meeting along with the
vote.

However prior to revealing the vote results I did want to encourage you all
to join the "Open Knowledge Foundation's [Open Science] listserv" where some
very interesting discussion and events are being planned (as can be seen
below from their recent event), you can join the list by following this
link:

I think the next couple of years is going to see the rise of Open Science in
many new and interesting ways and participating in the definition and
actions arising from those visionary definitions is going to be exciting
times.

So without further adeu, I bring you the results of the vote.  As you recall
we had four actions arising from the definitions which were:

1.) Get a group of experts to come together and agree a set of 'open
science' principles and then get research funding organisations to sign up
to those principles.

2.) Built incentives for data sharing especially interoperation
and multilingualism.

3.) Find out what motives the broad range of researchers and then bribe them
with those incentives.

4.) Change the way scientists are evaluated.

...AND THE WINNER WAS...

... WITH ELEVEN VOTES...

No.4 - Change the way scientists are evaluated!  <-- Well done Cameron
Neylon and group ;-D

The vote was close with no.3 (Find out what motives the broad range of
researchers and then bribe them with those incentives) coming in second
place with 8 votes.

No. 2 came in third with 5 votes; and

No.1 came in 4th with 3 votes.

However they are all excellent suggestions, the question is now how can we
make them happen?!

Also, as a reminder, below are the four definitions that we came up with, I
am going to put these up on the OKF Open Science listserv (Cc'd) and see
what kind of discussion we can kick off, so please join us there for further
discussion:

1.) a.) scientific data becomes huge and complex, b.) need more humans to
produce knowledge, c.) in order to link these brains we need open
communication.

2.) timely balanced and unrestricted ideas/sharing of all? available
scientific artefacts and processes

3.) a.) Science is based on based on / building on, reusing and openly
crticising the published? body of knwoledge, b.) for science to effectively
function and for society to reap the benefits from scientific endeavors it
is crucial that scientific process and scientific outputs are accessible?
and engageable, reusable and engageable with and by all (both people and
machines).

4.) Open Science is communicating research/knowledge from start to finish
without boundaries to enable a million/billion minds to participate.

Kind Regards,

David F. Flanders
Programme Manager
Digital Infrastructure Team