[open-science] How should we publish survey/tabular data? A Panton Paper?

Andy Turner A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 16:01:17 UTC 2011

Inferring type is sometimes not straightforward, but file names can help... If publishing data though, one can be clear about the MIME type (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type) for each different file download.

For geospatial table data and MIME types for the main geospatial mark-up language GML there is the following documentation from the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC:
Tabular geospatial data for the OGC Table Joining Service (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/tjs) was expected as XML.
For the latest GML Encoding, the MIME type allows for optional parameters for "version" and "charset" (http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=37743).

I expect that something similar is wanted as well as converters for when the data is wanted in another format.

Sorry, I've rushed this message, but the main point is that the format should be unambiguous regardless of the file name.

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/