[open-science] How should we publish survey/tabular data? A Panton Paper?

john wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Mon Jul 18 17:20:58 UTC 2011

More abstract tools that are available include:

- Sumatra, which also stores the code and the outcomes of the analysis.
http://packages.python.org/Sumatra/introduction.html
- Cacher, which provides tools for caching and distributing statistical
analyses http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/cacher/vignettes/cacher.pdf

And of course thedata.org is the easiest place to put a data set for
long term storage, and getting a SHA-1 name is a bonus.

In terms of how to write a data paper, I encourage you to look at
jonathan rees' short essay on "Recommendations for independent scholarly
publication of data sets" at
http://neurocommons.org/report/data-publication.pdf - includes links to
some journals that have been publishing "data papers" for years.

And remember to document your workflow and present it in VisTrails too.
http://www.vistrails.org/ - if we don't know how the researcher who
collected the data processed it before it got into tabular form, then
it's not very useful...

jtw