[open-science] Panton Principles Publicity

cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 08:34:34 UTC 2011

I'd be inclined to actually go with Publish...presses all the right traditional buttons and the principles themselves are very specific in focussing on "published data from public science" so if it is part of the push to "publish your data" then I think that works. PP was less about publishing more data and more about publishing more effectively.

Cheers

Cameron

On 13 Jun 2011, at 02:47, Heather Piwowar wrote:

> Agreed on coolness of poster, and also the benefits of a word other than "share."
>
> "Release" is another candidate.  "Data release" works well as a parallel to "code release."
>
> Heather
>
> --
> Heather Piwowar
> DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
>   studying research data sharing and reuse
>   remotely from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
> http://researchremix.org
> @researchremix
>

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Vision, Todd J <tjv at bio.unc.edu> wrote:
> The poster looks slick!   But I worry that use of the term 'sharing' is not helping to reach out to the unconverted within the scientific community.  Scientists are more likely to recognize common cause with the PP when the issue is framed in terms of bolstering the scientific method, not when when it calls for behavior (altruistic sharing) that run counter to how 'competitive-collaborative' science is conducted.  Most scientists think of 'sharing' data with collaborators only if and when they can advance their own research.   We don't ask scientists to 'share' their manuscripts (an altruistic act), but rather to publish their manuscripts (a professional obligation but one that brings rewards).  So 'Replicate' -> 'Reuse' -> 'Revolutionize' might be closer to a message that would resonate outside of the choir, and convey the sense that 'open data means better science'.  'Replicate' might not be the perfect term either, though it does at least have the virtue of starting with an 'R'!
>
> cheers,
> Todd
>
> ---
> Todd Vision
> Associate Professor of Biology
>

> > See below for a conversation Maria and I have been having regarding
> > publicity for the Panton Principles (PP from here on in!). It started when I
> > shared a poster design:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6gj2e6v
> >
> > Since, some very interesting points have come up. As a quick summary for
> > those who don't want to read the whole conversation:
> >
> > - Would a PP logo be a good thing to have? Should we have a design
> > contest/request ideas and submission?
> > - Peter came up with a tagline for a web banner of 'Open data means better
> > science', could a question directly addressing the community be more
> > engaging for the poster?
> > - Would a design like this
> > http://sunnibrown.com/2010/06/03/pbs-this-emotional-life/ be too childish?
> > - What makes open data in science unique compared to open data in other
> > fields and how could we incorporate this into our messages/publicity?
> >
> > Any comments, opinions, design ideas etc are most welcome!
> >
> > Jenny

Scanned by iCritical.