[open-science] open science meetup in Boston/Cambridge

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Jun 23 11:29:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Egon Willighagen
<egon.willighagen at gmail.com> wrote:
> stkhmos at lists.okfn.org
> http://okfn.org/groups/stockholm-open-science/ or
> http://okfn.org/groups/stkhmos/
> http://stkhmos.science.okfn.org/

Yes - you're welcome to have all of these! :-)

The one thing I'd also suggest is that national lists are also good -
e.g. to pull people interested in different open content/data projects
into one bigger discussion. E.g. we have these in Austria, Bulgaria,
Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy and other counties. Also have
regional open knowledge lists in London, Berlin, etc - for people
interested in open knowledge in different domains. This fits with OKF
mission of strengthening broader open knowledge community.

Kat, Lucy and I are going to be putting further instructions on all
this kind of thing into a big document called the OKF Handbook soon -
which will let people know how they can use OKF facilities to do
useful stuff.

>> This said, I'd strongly argue for using the open-science list, group
>> and science.okfn.org for things that might be of interest to others!
>
> Customized lists are good for organizing things, and e.g. Swedish
> could be allowed on our group list, but also include practical things
> whether there are pancakes today at the restaurant we're meeting...
> that is, things not of general interest, but useful for the group.

Agreed. :-)

> General interest things can indeed be better on general lists, or via
> e.g. twitter. Our has tag is (as you might have expected from the
> above: #stkhmos :)

Yes - as long as you promise not to have all the interesting
discussions on the Stockholm list! :-)

J.

--
Jonathan Gray