[open-science] Interactive session on Open Data at Am Chem Soc Monday - online Pantonistas welcomed

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 27 09:03:01 UTC 2011

I am giving a talk on Panton at the ACS at 0910 LOCAL California time on
MONDAY (have the clocks changed this weekend?). I am hoping we can get
internet and can maybe have a live demonstration of the Etherpad - perhaps
we can help to create the Panton paper on Textmining that I am meant to have
written! It would be great to have 3-4 people editing away on the Etherpad
and taking this as an opportunity to create something as well.

I will also show IsItOpenData online ...

*27 - Open Data and the Panton Principles*

* Dr Peter Murray-Rust. * *Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge,
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom*

Although an increasing amount of chemical data is becoming visible on the
Internet it cannot be re-used without explicit permission to avoid
potentially breaking copyright. The Open Knowledge Foundation and Science
Commons have collaborated on a definition of Open Data and produced a set of
principles and practices (Panton Principles) to help authors and publishers
assert that their published data is truly Open. An example of fully Open
Data is shown in Crystaleye http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/crystaleye with over
200,000 crystallographic datasets from the literature. Several publishers
are adopting Panton, and this presentation will show the advantages of doing
so

*Monday, March 28, 2011 09:10 AM*
*Open Data (09:00 AM - 11:00 AM)*
*Location: Anaheim Convention Center *