[open-science] Fwd: LODD Hack Session Notes - Is It Open request signatories needed

Amrapali J Zaveri amrapali.j.zaveri at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:31:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am a PhD student at the University of Leipzig working with the AKSW group
[1] and as part of my project [2], we converted the WHO-GHO dataset to RDF.

To answer the question about the licensing/copyright issue, according to
WHO, if extracts from WHO website of publication are used for research,
private study or in a noncommercial document with limited circulation (such
as an academic thesis or dissertation), then it is allowed to do so without
seeking permission [3]. WHO encourages the use of its information materials
for information purposes i.e. when the purpose of the use is to share
objective information, whether free of charge or for sale. Only if the
material is to be used for commercial purposes, it requires a license.
However it does have a copyright notice: Copyright World Health Organization
(WHO), 2011. All Rights Reserved [4], so maybe this copyright could be
added.

Also, the dataset is available at this SPARQL endpoint:
http://db0.aksw.org:8895/sparql and can be downloaded from here:
http://aksw.org/Projects/Stats2RDF#h13390-5 .

Hope that is sufficient information regarding the open-ness of the dataset.
Let me know if any other information is required and suggestions are welcome
:)

That leaves three datasets where we have not been able to find a clear
licensing/copyright/waiver statement, and for these three letters are
now written, see Jenny's email, to inquire under what conditions those
data sets can be redistributed, which the LODD wg is already doing.
This involves DailyMed, RXNorm, and the WHO-GHO data sets. Input from
those who composed is helpful here. One thing that we want to get
clear is if people can pull the data from the SPARQL end point,
use/modify it, and even redistribute it.

Thank you.
Regards,
Amrapali J Zaveri

[1] http://aksw.org/About