[open-science] Fwd: LODD Hack Session Notes - Is It Open request signatories needed

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:42:22 UTC 2011

Hej Amrapali,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Amrapali J Zaveri
<amrapali.j.zaveri at gmail.com> wrote:
> To answer the question about the licensing/copyright issue, according to
> WHO, if extracts from WHO website of publication are used for research,
> private study or in a noncommercial document with limited circulation (such
> as an academic thesis or dissertation), then it is allowed to do so without
> seeking permission [3]. WHO encourages the use of its information materials
> for information purposes i.e. when the purpose of the use is to share
> objective information, whether free of charge or for sale. Only if the
> material is to be used for commercial purposes, it requires a license.

First of all, thanx for sending these pointers!

If I read this, however, I am tempted to think that this data is
really not Open. Making the whole available as RDF does not sounds to
me as 'extracts' or 'limited circulation' to me...

> However it does have a copyright notice: Copyright World Health Organization
> (WHO), 2011. All Rights Reserved [4], so maybe this copyright could be
> added.

Yes.

> Also, the dataset is available at this SPARQL
> endpoint: http://db0.aksw.org:8895/sparql and can be downloaded from
> here: http://aksw.org/Projects/Stats2RDF#h13390-5 .
> Hope that is sufficient information regarding the open-ness of the dataset.
> Let me know if any other information is required and suggestions are welcome
> :)

Have you asked permission to 'circulate' the whole of the database?

I think Jenny and I will have to update the letter with respect to
these new details, and I'm really happy you pointed me to [3].

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher