[open-science] Fwd: LODD Hack Session Notes - Is It Open request signatories needed

Amrapali J Zaveri amrapali.j.zaveri at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 13:56:49 UTC 2011

Hi Egon,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hej Amrapali,
>
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Amrapali J Zaveri
> <amrapali.j.zaveri at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To answer the question about the licensing/copyright issue, according to
> > WHO, if extracts from WHO website of publication are used for research,
> > private study or in a noncommercial document with limited circulation
> (such
> > as an academic thesis or dissertation), then it is allowed to do so
> without
> > seeking permission [3]. WHO encourages the use of its information
> materials
> > for information purposes i.e. when the purpose of the use is to share
> > objective information, whether free of charge or for sale. Only if the
> > material is to be used for commercial purposes, it requires a license.
>
> First of all, thanx for sending these pointers!
>
> If I read this, however, I am tempted to think that this data is
> really not Open. Making the whole available as RDF does not sounds to
> me as 'extracts' or 'limited circulation' to me...

Hmm, since GHO is only one of the WHO datasets and also the RDF data *
currently* only contains the "Mortality and Burden of Disease" data, we
considered to be an extract but maybe you are right. We do intend to convert
the entire dataset too.

> > However it does have a copyright notice: Copyright World Health
> Organization
> > (WHO), 2011. All Rights Reserved [4], so maybe this copyright could be
> > added.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Also, the dataset is available at this SPARQL
> > endpoint: http://db0.aksw.org:8895/sparql and can be downloaded from
> > here: http://aksw.org/Projects/Stats2RDF#h13390-5 .
> > Hope that is sufficient information regarding the open-ness of the
> dataset.
> > Let me know if any other information is required and suggestions are
> welcome
> > :)
>
> Have you asked permission to 'circulate' the whole of the database?

Since it is for non-commerical purposes, we haven't asked for permission
yet. They have this form for the request for permission:
http://www.who.int/about/licensing/copyright_form/en/index.html which I'll
fill out.

> I think Jenny and I will have to update the letter with respect to
> these new details, and I'm really happy you pointed me to [3].

Great !

> Egon
>
> --
> Dr E.L. Willighagen