[open-science] Marking free but not open data/linking data to publications

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at biomedcentral.com
Tue May 31 11:03:47 UTC 2011

Dear all,

BioMed Central is working on better tools/article formats to link
content to data in repositories (more details to follow this summer).
One part of this strategy is to mark PDFs and article full texts -on the
first page-with an 'Open data' or equivalent logo, to make it clear when
a reader lands on an article from a web or bibliographic database
search, they can get all the supporting data/the numbers reported should
be reproducible.

Some repositories of course use a Panton Principles complaint waiver but
many -used by many of our authors - do not, but do provide free access
to data. It would be ideal for more repositories to be fully open but
being pragmatic for the short-medium term, we perhaps need an
alternative that indicates data are freely available online, but aren't
necessarily open.

Has anyone thought about marking free-but-not-open data or developed a
logo/button for free-but-not-open data? I'd like to give authors who are
sharing their data some recognition, in the reference list, article
section and by stamping (effectively) their article to this effect but
within the limitations of the myriad license agreements that currently
exist for research data. Something that gives even more
recognition/credit for fully open data would be ideal, of course, but I
fear the majority would currently sit in the former category.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Best regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz