[open-science] Marking free but not open data/linking data to publications

john wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Tue May 31 20:12:39 UTC 2011

Icons are something that are easy to do, but hard to get to catch on.
We're actually reducing our use of icons at CC. See
https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/27467 for a very recent post on
how we're actually reducing the iconic clutter of the CC legal user
interface.

In the short term, good metadata that is panton compliant is the best
medicine. Lots of data can't be "open" as per definitions, for
commercial, or privacy, or because of legacy restrictions as the data
were gathered before people thought about open data. But if the
conversations about that data can be open, if the data structures are
described, if we know what kind of data it is and how we can apply for
it, and one can use search engines to parse it...that's pretty good.

jtw