[open-science] New comunity member

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 6 07:05:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Paweł Szczęsny <ps at pawelszczesny.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If I understand the issue correctly, you are looking for a way to
> extend MIAME standard (Minimum Information About a Microarray
> Experiment http://www.mged.org/Workgroups/MIAME/miame.html ), so it
> contains all information required for a correct data analysis. Or in
> other words, you'd like to solve the issue of "how" to make data open,
> not "if", as life scientists share data quite often. In that case, it
> could be reasonable to contact people from FGED Society and work
> directly with them.
>
> "Standard" is the next holy grail after data become available. Open
> Science helps indirectly by pushing towards data availability -
> standards are developed by researchers trying to integrate data. I
> don't know, however, if it could help directly, by coordinating
> efforts of building common/reusable ontologies across different
> domains/fields.
>
> Best regards
> PS
>
> PMR - I agree. FWIW I was again presenting the BiomedCentral (BMC) Open
data award last night and BMC are goind a huge amount to promote and require
Panton compliance in publications. So if there is something that could be
urged as good open publication practice (?GOPP) then we should catalyse its
formation and description.

A list of MIAME (and all the other MI***s) could be very useful to show
authors what should be published. This would be core OKF "business", while
actually generating the specifications is already well handeld by the
bioscience community.