[open-science] Making use of data: tools, process and openness (was: Re: Fwd: New edition UKDA guide: Managing and Sharing Data)

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon May 9 13:01:07 UTC 2011

John, Rufus: lots of good stuff in your emails. Wonder if either of
you fancy bashing any of these ideas into blog posts for
blog.okfn.org? Could be a lovely couplet! :-D

E.g.

  * "Open data is not enough" or "Science doth not thrive upon open
data alone" (John's original post)
  * "Why openness matters" (Rufus's four point piece below)

Also think it would be great to have more public call/response on some
of the key issues that the OKF works on (another big one being: RDF -
for/against).

J.

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> [...]
> absolutely central (which is why more I'd estimate that much more than
> 50% of the Open Knowledge Foundation's time and resource is spent on
> developing tools, platforms, techniques like CKAN [2] for working with
> (open) data and content).
>
> At the same time, as I've outlined above, I think openness is pretty
> central to making significant progress "doing useful stuff". Given
> this, I think it is important that we do "go on" about *open* data --
> not, of course, in an obsessive ideological are-you-in/are-you-out way
> but in an exhortatory, this-matters-to-what-we-can-build way. This is
> especially true at the present time, when the default in most areas
> still seems to be non-open.
>
> Rufus
>
> [1]: http://m.okfn.org/files/talks/ccc_20091228/
> [2]: http://ckan.net/ and http://ckan.org/ (software)
>
> On 6 May 2011 17:15, john wilbanks <wilbanks at creativecommons.org> wrote:
>> this is a trending part of the data conversation that i am seeing worldwide
>> - licenses on data are considered a tiny part of overall data management.
>> the UK is the most progressive, and the US default position of public domain
>> is nice (though we are continuing to press for its being in the PD globally,
>> and not just domestically). but when the scientists who are not on this list
>> gather to talk data with their funders, IP is rarely at the top of the
>> agenda.
>>
>> it is of course essential, but far from sufficient, for data to be "open" -
>> if it's not annotated, doesn't have provenance, doesn't have tracks of how
>> it came from its original raw forms to the intermediate processed forms that
>> are so much more useful, doesn't have tracks of the feedback loops that
>> processed it, etc.
>>
>> i now spend much of my time these days *outside* the open science world, in
>> what they call out here the "big data" world. most of the data people i talk
>> to are obsessed with all of the ways data is made a) useful via tooling and
>> annotation and b) social (in the sense of the feedback loops and
>> conversations among big data users, not in the facebook sense) and are not
>> very concerned with the openness of data in the absence of a) and b).
>>
>> we've got to get serious as a community about addressing these things
>> ourselves, or we risk becoming a one-note community obsessed with whether or
>> not data is "open" rather than joining the debate about how to make data
>> *useful* - and making the open argument a key to that broader one.
>>
>> My .02
>>
>> jtw
>>
>> On 5/6/2011 4:55 AM, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>>>
>>> Surprised to see only one mention of "open data" on page 30. A shame that
>>> there isn't a brief step by step guide to openly licensing data in the
>>> guide!
>>>
>>> Does anyone know any of the authors of this that we could contact - to see
>>> if they'd consider putting this in next time?

>>> Committee (JISC), the Rural Economy and Land Use (Relu) Programme and the