[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 00:59:29 UTC 2011

2011/10/28 Bill Hooker <cwhooker at fastmail.fm>

> For the record, I agree with Pawel.  It's one thing to be provocative,
> quite another to make your fellow-travelers' lives more difficult.
> Appeals to the heart via wrenching images of poverty are not suitable
> for conversations about scholarly publishing: they simply make it easier
> for opponents to muddy the waters.

If there is a general feeling that I have overstepped limits I will take
that on board. For the record (and I own any error in this - I am not making
excuses) the initial 5-6 slides were not mine and were presented at Science
Online in London and not by me. But having used them I take responsibility.
I suspect that the context and perhpas my own delivery may have changed the
impression.

> Peter, you have done more than most in the service of Open Foo, and from
> time to time the same enthusiasm that powers your achievements has
> carried you over the line and put you in a position where you've had to
> retract, adjust or apologize for various statements.  I've never
> considered that a bad thing and I've always admired your willingness to
> own up to error.  I think this is one of those times.  You've simply
> made statements that you can't support, and coming from someone of your
> stature that really does not help the cause.

So - there are at least two different things - the use of the images and my
statements and possibly the combination.

As you say I listen to people and I am prepared to change my behaviour. This
was an event of public record - I will look at it again with your two
comments.