[open-science] JennyMolloy and PeterMR representing OKF at Open Science Summit

Brian Glanz brian.glanz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 02:05:10 UTC 2011

While the case could be more rigorously presented for open access to
biomedical research saving lives, anyone working in global health or public
health in the developing world should know the case is strong.

Granted that Elsevier, Springer, et al. admit their long term commercial
motives for participating in WHO's HINARI programme and all of
Research4Life, these and similar initiatives (such as INASP) have saved
lives by providing free or lower cost access to thousands of journals in
more than 100 developing nations. Even though they exclude painfully poor
nations such as India from HINARI, Elsevier themselves are quick to trot it
out as life saving. For example
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/authored_newsitem.cws_home/companynews05_02017
 includes

*"Dr. Arun Neopane of Nepal offered readers the opportunity to experience
not only how Research4Life has benefited his work as a paediatrician, but
also how it has supported him in his role as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal
of Nepal Paediatric Society and General Secretary of Nepal Association of
Medical Editors (NAME). “HINARI has changed the perspective of research in
our country. It has saved so much of the precious time of our doctors, by
making them more learned. And it has also saved many lives”, states Dr. Arun
Neopane...."*

Quotes like these are not hard to find. *"This project has probably had the
most impact of any WHO project since the Oral Rehydration Therapy" said Dr.
Philip Njemanze, chairman of the International Institutes of Advanced
Research and Training at the Chidicon Medical Center in Imo State, Nigeria
...*on page 89, World report on knowledge for better health, WHO, 2004.

Extending access to the scholarly poor in India, Pakistan, Egypt, and other
nations who lack HINARI or INASP, or to the scholarly poor in all nations,
would undoubtedly save more lives. The publishers do not do so, they
acknowledge, because there is money to be made. Peter is not out of line in
pointing out poignantly what many already admit.

Aside: I am waiting right now in a conference room in Seattle, where I will
personally beg Bill Gates to lean on publishers, policies, and to generally
join the chorus for open access. Anyone who knows me personally should
cringe at the thought of me begging Gates, but access to research, data, and
code are critical for progress in biomedical research (and all fields) and
having learnt so much about global health, Gates may agree. PMR is spot on
in my opinion, leveraging strong and compelling arguments for open access
from amalgam fields such as global health, education, climate research. BG