[open-science] Fwd: Data Intensive Science Request for Ideas with Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 23:10:47 UTC 2011

This could be interesting for us. We should get rights defined in this.

P.

Data Intensive Science Request for Ideas
http://dis.ideascale.com/

The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation's Science Program is seeking the
community's feedback on where to invest in the area of data-intensive
science. We would appreciate your good ideas, and your thoughts on other's
ideas, from now through the middle of September, 2011. The Science Program
will review these ideas and incorporate them into this year's strategic
planning.

The increasing volume and complexity of scientific data are overwhelming
current research practices, and create additional barriers to an already
challenged science infrastructure, workforce and funding landscape. Many
agencies and foundations are looking at ways to best combat the growing wave
of challenges caused by today’s data deluge, and the Gordon and Betty Moore
Foundation’s RFI on Data Intensive Science is intended to add to this
growing body of thinking. This RFI is being conducted in the open and for
the benefit of anyone looking to navigate these areas. The Gordon and Betty
Moore Foundation Science Program only funds natural and applied science
research, we request that ideas related to domain specific challenges stay
within these fields.

We welcome your participation in this effort. The intention in 2011 is to
create a focused strategy in data-intensive science that strongly
complements funding by government agencies, other foundations and private
industry. We are leaving the definition of "data-intensive science" open,
except to say that it is not intended to encompass "big data" exclusively.

To submit an idea, please go to http://dis.ideascale.com/, sign up, and
enter your idea.