[open-science] Open Science at the British Ecological Society annual meeting

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:57:34 UTC 2011

On 15 September 2011 11:11, Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Attendance (~interest?) was excellent. Despite there being many
> parallel sessions on at the same time, the room was full-to-bursting,
> every seat taken with 15+ standing around the edges of the room too.
> Relative to attendance at an earlier session:

Not entirely a fair comparison - the online science talks were a lunchtime
workshop, so there were only a couple of other things running in parallel,
while the regular talks had 9 sessions running at the same time.

I chatted to one person about your talk later in the day, but she wasn't
convinced. Essentially, the concern was 'What if we want to get further
analysis & publications from the data?' I know this has come up before, but
as you noted, your message was largely new to this audience. I think the
'Citation' section of the talk was probably the part that resonated most
with the audience.

> I noted many of the audience were taking notes with pen & paper... bit
ironic for such a 'digital' session IMO.

Pen & paper haven't stopped working. ;-)

Thanks for your talk,
Thomas