[open-science] Open Science at the British Ecological Society annual meeting

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:22:22 UTC 2011

On 15 September 2011 15:10, Hahnel, Mark J <m.hahnel07 at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

> I was wondering if you could ellaborate on one of your comments:
>
>  "Essentially, the concern was 'What if we want to get further analysis &
> publications from the data?"
>
>  Was this in reference to the Ingelfinger Rule
> http://embargowatch.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/faculty-of-1000-strikes-a-blow-against-the-ingelfinger-rule/

I would guess it was more to do with a fear of being scooped - of handing
over the data you may have spent a lot of time collecting to someone who
could beat you to some key analysis and publish the interesting result. But
I should stress that it was an off-hand discussion. I vaguely defended it on
the grounds of reproducibility, but I didn't have any good answer for how
not to get scooped.

Thanks,
Thomas