[open-science] Who writes on open science in mainstream press?

cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 19:43:53 UTC 2011

David Dobbs (Atlantic, Wired &c) is both generally sympathetic and wrote a nice general piece on Open Science a while back (focussing on Jon Eisen). I think there is much more general coverage in the US than in the UK. I would guess we have a relatively limited number of science journalists working professionally in the UK and open science would be a small part of what they are trying to cover.

Cheers

Cameron

On 22 Sep 2011, at 16:28, Dorothea Salo wrote:

> John Timmer at Ars Technica has been known to pen the occasional
> open-science article. Ars Technica is aimed at IT professionals and
> gamers, but its science section is quite good -- and as for its press
> cred, it's owned by Conde Nast.
>
> Dorothea
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Nick Barnes <nb at climatecode.org> wrote:
>> I had a meeting with Olive Heffernan, editor of Nature Climate Change.
>>  Among other things we discussed open science issues.  She asked a
>> question for which I had no good answer: are there science journalists
>> in the mainstream media who are covering open science?  The best
>> answer I had was Charles Arthur (whose name escaped me in a senior
>> moment).  I know Glyn Moody (who might be on this list too, hi Glyn),
>> but Glyn's writing really focuses on technology and software rather
>> than science.  So who else?  Anyone at the big papers? At the BBC?
>> --
>> Nick Barnes, Climate Code Foundation, http://climatecode.org/

> Dorothea Salo                salo at wisc.edu

Scanned by iCritical.