[open-science] github/R stack for the nomadic researcher

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 19:01:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Jessy Kate Schingler <jessy at jessykate.com>wrote:

> i agree on the dataforge front...  git doesn't handle large files well,
> and figshare, buzzdata etc. seem to be mostly for visual or tabular data
> sets. out of curiosity, as i'm starting to learn about thedatahub.com,

thedatahub.org I think

> it seems rather perfect for data set management, and even has a change
> lists for data sets, groups, user pages, etc. (especially if there were
> some command line tools so i could "commit" changes to my data set
> periodically and upload them :)).
>
> is there a reason people find ckan/thedatahub insufficient for data
> management needs? is it related to technical/features, or to peoples'
> familiarity and confidence around the longevity of the site?

It's history, I think. We should now be making the case for such a
repository and I don't think Figshare is it. I have rather negelected
datahub because the original CKAN was metadata-oriented.

I'll be making the case in Europe next week that we badly need informal
repositories and maybe this is the time to push the datahub?

P.