[open-science] github/R stack for the nomadic researcher

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Mon Apr 2 18:23:52 UTC 2012

i agree on the dataforge front...  git doesn't handle large files well, and
figshare, buzzdata etc. seem to be mostly for visual or tabular data sets.
out of curiosity, as i'm starting to learn about thedatahub.com, it seems
rather perfect for data set management, and even has a change lists for
data sets, groups, user pages, etc. (especially if there were some command
line tools so i could "commit" changes to my data set periodically and
upload them :)).

is there a reason people find ckan/thedatahub insufficient for data
management needs? is it related to technical/features, or to peoples'
familiarity and confidence around the longevity of the site?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Tom,
> This is a really valuable post. I feel your concerns directly. I have
> copied in our new Panton fellows (though I am sure they read this list
> anyway!)
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:
>

>> [apologies for length of post, but it's a big topic]
>>

> No apologies needed!
>
> I am giving an important presentation to  Europe "Open Infrastructures for
> Open Science" and Neelie Kroes and others will be there. I am getting my
> thoughts together as I have to give the plenary that informs the rest of
> the workshop. Currently my thoughts are:
>

>    - Europe (and the world) is losing 10 billion + in unused and
>    restricted data. (I said this to Hargreaves)
>    - We MUST have easily accessible research repositories, probably on a
>    domain basis (Dryad, Pangaea, TARDIS, etc.)
>    - Institutional Repos do not work for STM and never will
>    - Mandates are a blunt weapon and so far have little effectiveness
>    - Non-Commercial destroys knowledge
>
> We must give the researchers something they want. Sourceforge does this
> for code. I use Sourceforge (actually now Bitbucket and Github) several
> times a day. All my code is backed up, shareable, reusable, validated etc.
>
>    - There must be a "Data forge" for Europe. Figshare was built by one
>    graduate student in one year. I would give 3rd year graduate students
>    funding to do this - it's a hundred times more cost effective than
>    repositories.
>
> I'd like to collect ideas on this llist and present them next week (11th).
> An OKF data manifesto for Open Science (in Europe) Who knows what might
> come?
>

>> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics