[open-science] feedback wanted on text-mining initiatives

Maximilian Haeussler maximilianh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:39:03 UTC 2012

Hi Heather,

for our fulltext mining project here (we are trying get most of
PubMed), we are asking for ~200 letters around entities of interest
that we've found in the text ("snippets") which is what Google Scholar
shows, too. Once they have a hit, people could always use Google
Scholar to get the flanking text anyways.

The biggest problem for me is contact information of publishers. There
are so many of them, some have been bought up, some have vanished,
often permissions@<publisher>.com doesn't reply, it's a slow struggle.

You know our website already, it's at http://text.soe.ucsc.edu. I keep
updating the list of publishers and contacts for text mining
permissions. Happy about any comments or for contact information of
publishers.

cheers
Max
Maximilian Haeussler, max at soe.ucsc.edu
mob +1 831 295 0653 office: +1 831 459 5232