[open-science] feedback wanted on text-mining initiatives

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 16:58:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM, N.L.Scantlebury <n.l.scantlebury at open.ac.uk
> wrote:

> Hi all
> Having a statement of principles which extends to text mining initiatives
> would be an extremely useful first step- however I would caution that if
> people don't know what they can or cannot mine at a practical/application
> level means they may end up being the 'emperor's new clothes'

Completely agreed. The BBB declarations are wonderful. They give the
principles which cicumscribe the potential implementations. BBB simply
gives the abstract rights. Then we have to implement them and say that
CC-BY is compatible, CC-NC is not.

We need "teeth" with these principles so need to address the licensing
> arrangements that allow for the implementation of the principles. To me
> they go hand in hand.

Teeth have been sadly lacking in the Open Access community. No-one seems to
care about adherence to the BBB principles. In our case Teeth will depend
on bottom-up concerns - if a publisher says they implement the textmining
principles and then doesn't comply they will be identified. Whether that
will make a change depends on funders, institutions, etc. - people, in
short.