[open-science] Open data in life sciences use cases?

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at biomedcentral.com
Wed Jan 4 15:00:33 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I'm interested in further developing some specific use cases where open
data (i.e. available under CC0 or equivalent terms) in journal
publications would be useful or lack of open data has been problematic -
to individual scientists/research groups, and perhaps even the original
data publishers. I'm aware of reasonable evidence of societal/economic
benefits for open data (e.g. within :
http://ie-repository.jisc.ac.uk/279/2/JISC_data_sharing_finalreport.pdf;
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/publications/keepingresearchdatasa
fe0408.pdf) but more evidence (aside from more citations, in microarray
research), or anecdotes/cases studies in its absence, of benefits to
individuals/groups would be good.

E.g. "I am scientist doing X kind of experiment and being able to reuse
or harvest all types of Y data from Z journal (or publisher) would be
excellent because..."

And ideally...

"here's why  the current model prohibits or makes this difficult; or
here's an example of where such an approach has been beneficial
previously....

I'd like to include some of these use cases as part of a white paper,
currently well under way, on implementation of a variable license
agreement for open access publications enabling CC0 for data (as agreed
at
http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/entry/report_from_the_p
ublishing_open).

If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated - and of
course acknowledged.

Best regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz