[open-science] Open data in life sciences use cases?

Tom Moritz tom.moritz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:35:54 UTC 2012

Iain Query is good -- somewhat in the spirit of the [Jimmy] Carter- [Frank]
Press initiative discussed by Harvard historian Gerald Holton in *Ivory
Bridges [SEE:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?tid=8791&ttype=2 ] and
Science-Anti-Science* [SEE: Gerald Holton,Science and Anti-Science.
Cambridge, Mass.lLondon: Harvard University Press, 1993, 203 p.
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?recid=25868 ]

and then -- for what it's worth -- there's:

E G Campbell, et al. “Data Withholding in Academic Genetics Evidence From a
National Survey,” JAMA. 2002;287(15):1939-1940.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/287/4/473.abstract

“Forty-seven percent of geneticists who asked other faculty for additional
information, data, or materials regarding published research reported that
at least 1 of their requests had been denied in the preceding 3 years.”  [“Of
a potential 3000 respondents, 2893 were eligible and 1849 responded,
yielding an overall response rate of 64%. We analyzed a subsample of 1240
self-identified geneticists and made a limited number of comparisons with
600 self-identified nongeneticists.”]

Though the actual consequences of these denials...???  The article
addresses inability to: "to confirm published results" -- which acts as an
impedance to science (at least as it is hypothetically practiced!)

Tom

Tom

Tom Moritz
1968 1/2 South Shenandoah Street,
*Los Angeles, California 90034-1208  USA
+1 310 963 0199 (cell) [GMT -8]
tommoritz (Skype)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmoritz*

“Πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει” (Everything flows, nothing stands still.) --*
Heraclitus *
"It is . . . easy to be certain. One has only to be sufficiently vague." --
C.S. Peirce  *
*"Kathambhutassa me rattindiva vitipatanti" (“The days and nights are
relentlessly passing; how well am I spending my time?”)  -- *"Ten Subjects
for Frequent Recollection by One Who Has Gone Forth"*
*"Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux."  ("One must imagine Sisyphus happy.")
-- Camus*