[open-science] response to the White House RFI on OA to publicly funded research

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 11:32:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am sitting over this right now (though mostly offline, reading
> through responses prepared by others) and shall post some rough draft
> text today at
>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Committee/Areas_of_interest/Open-access_policy/Request_for_Information_on_Public_Access_to_Peer-Reviewed_Scholarly_Publications_Resulting_From_Federally_Funded_Research
>
> and
>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Committee/Areas_of_interest/Open-access_policy/Request_for_Information_on_Public_Access_to_Digital_Data_Resulting_From_Federally_Funded_Scientific_Research
>
> Any hint/ suggestion is very welcome.

I have briefly skimmed the Harvard document and I think it's a useful
basis. My suggestion would be to support it and pick out one or two areas
where we feel strongly. I am particularly encouraged by their use of CC-BY
not CC-NC and perhaps we can elaborate on this.

I would also pick Wikipedia as an example of how scientific research gets
widely disseminated. The world in general sees wikipedia as the first place
to go to and clearly research which is visible ("open" is too problematic)
gets included and closed work does not.

P.