[open-science] [open-science-dev] Moving forward with Open Research Reports

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 18 17:37:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> After a succesful hackathon in December (more here
> http://science.okfn.org/2011/10/29/okfn-at-oss2011-open-research-reports/and here
> http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/swat4ls_hackathon/ORR) we're
> looking to move forward with the Open Research Reports project to create a
> resource for disease information using open bibliographic metadata and
> semantic technologies.
>

> We are making great progress with Openbiblio2 technology (Bibserver and
BibSoup). This is directly designed to support ORR (in a way that it didn't
even 2 months ago. I am copying in Openbiblio for this thread only.

ORR is based on collections of Open information resources, mainly journal
articles but also data sets, image libraries, software, etc. Each ORR is
standalone but interconnected with all the others and wider Open resources.
In the first instance we see the articles being provided by PubMed
(UK/PMC). We started this in Openbiblio1 where Ben O'Steen created a
Bibserver of the UK/PMC Open subset. Ben - if you're reading - can you let
us know where it is? (Although a machine could be serving several different
resources we'll refer to each as a Bibserver). BibSoup is fuzzily made up
of various Bibservers.

Bibserver has a search/display tool where these resources can be searched
and browsed by facets. It will display any facet in the BibJSON - it
doesn't have to be in the BibJSON vocabulary. Bibservers can ingest a
reasonable range of bibliographic collections - BibTeX, RIS, etc.
Openbiblio2 is working on a BibJSON editor which will be available RSN.

The philosophy of BibSoup is get it out there Openly. Worry about
normalization and disambiguation later.

**Bibliographies have errors** - we must get used to it

(Science has errors as well)

We are not creating the "one true bibliography" we are creating a BibSoup
of bibliographies that are good enough for a local purpose. These local
purposes include:
 * Tom Olijhoek and Malaria
 * Gilles Frydman and Sarcoma

The important thing is that:
* there is a champion for the area. Someone or some group that needs
bibliography and will work to add value for their purpose.
* It is done as fast as reasonable. It's more important that we get the
data out there and show the value of the concept than that it is perfect.
Wiki-like resources can be cleaned quickly later if there is communal will.

My guess is that using Bibserver will largely prevent automated SPAM. It
won't prevent human vandalism but I think that will be low (people will
have to edit the BibJSON somehow and it's a very small payback for
spammers).

P.