[open-science] open science hack day (was Re: Text mining, PDF to text conversion, and permissions on abstracts)

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Sat Mar 10 06:35:09 UTC 2012

hey jenny/all,

i'm based in SF, and have been on the lists for a while but usually more of
a lurker.

i just added a few ideas i've been thinking about to the open science hack
day pad, hope that's cool (and happy to explain any of them more if they
are not clear).
http://okfnpad.org/sciencewg-hackday-mar12

it turns out that on the same day in palo alto we're having super happy
block party <http://www.superhappy.be/>, a block party/hackathon for the
50th super happy dev house <http://shdh.org>.

i was thinking it would be cool to advertise the open science hack day to
this crowd and coordinate with others who might want to participate here at
devhouse. the event is 1pm - 1am pacific time, so i guess we'll be rather
behind you all but might overlap for a few hours with some of the latebirds
in IRC...

jessy

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Jenny Molloy <jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do suggest something like this to be looked at during the Open Science
> hackday!
> http://science.okfn.org/2012/03/07/open-science-hackday-31-mar-2012-london/
>
> Clearly not something to be solved quickly but it may get a good group of
> people discussing it and lead to a PDF focused group. These kind of tools
> are useful across the range of OKF activities so I've copied in the
> okfn-discuss list.
>
> We have a table transcription tool from a previous hackday which it was
> hoped could be turned into an automated tool
> http://blog.okfn.org/2011/11/17/introducing-the-data-digitizer/
>
> Jenny
>

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Jessy Kate Schingler <jessy at jessykate.com>wrote:
>
>> (oops, meant to reply-all)
>>
>> awesome, i didn't know about PDFbox.
>>
>> imagine how great it would be to combine good content extraction with the
>> annotator tool

>>> and I also use it for graphics.
>>>
>>> It would be Wonderful to get a science-based OKF group for PDFing
>>>
>>> P.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Peter Murray-Rust
>>> Reader in Molecular Informatics