[open-science] the early-career guide to doing open science?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 17:06:43 UTC 2012

This is a really valuable discussion. Some quick points:

   - Not everyone is in a University. Those outside are immediately part of
   the #scholarlypoor. The solution "talk to your institutional repo" is no
   use for people in an institution
   - Some IRs are suitable for data. Australia has got its act together
   (TARDIS, etc.) But in (say) UK there are probably 100-300 institutions and
   what they offer is very variable.
   - I suggested OKF because (a) they have several years of running the
   CKAN repo (b) they have good relations with funders in Europe, especially
   things like Europeana. (c) they have good relations with gov.* I wasn't
   suggesting a huge data fortress in Panton Street - that's why I suggested BL
   - Dryad deals with some aspects of evolution
   - Sourceforge and its descendants have made software available to the
   masses. We need the same attitude and provision for data. Not all software
   is created in universities and nor is all data.

I am not suggesting etabytes but I can certainly see the value of public
storage for data in - say - amateur (in the bestb sense of the world)
astronomy, ornithology, land use, meterology, oceanography - whatever.
Whether it's from the national purse or commerce - who knows.

And if the country is crying out for data mungers (as OKF suggests) then
this is a really cost-effective investment in on-th-job-training. After all
we are running a virtual course on data , aren't we?