[open-science] the early-career guide to doing open science?

Jessy Kate Schingler jessy at jessykate.com
Fri Mar 16 17:16:00 UTC 2012

hey guys,

this doesn't solve the repository problem, but is in response to the
original subject line: "early career guide to doing open science."

as some of you know the peer to peer university <http://p2pu.org/> is
currently experimenting with peer-based learning using teams (study groups,
courses), challenges, and badges. there's been a lot of discussion around
open research and open science at, as something that a) p2pu is trying to
encourage for research done about p2pu initiatives, b) we would like to
encourage more open research BY p2pu community and others (not necessarily
about learning) and c) involves but also has some different elements from
peer-based learning alone.

we've started working on a core set of "open science
challenges<http://pad.p2pu.org/p/opensciencecontent>"
that we would incorporate into the challenges infrastructure at p2pu (or
anywhere really, it's just what's available :)). my hope is that they could
capture some of the core processes and activities of basic research,
provide links to useful tools and initiatives, and incorporate open
practice in a way that "just makes sense." it would aim to provide a clear
place to get started practicing open science, based on the experience of
others, without having to re-derive that process every time. and finally,
with enough help, we can have some mentorship in that process too.

this would be great, as tom said, for newish grad students and researchers
- but IMHO also for opening up the actual core elements of the scientific
process, with the idea that anyone can participate - even the so-called
#sholarlypoor.

i would love it if people had ideas and suggestions to improve, rip apart,
clean up, extend, etc. these challenges. i was actually planning to email
this list as i know that people like carl, peter, cameron etc. are all both
practitioners and thought leaders in this area.

for example, a great one to add from this discussion would be one on
repositories and open data. there are currently two relevant challenges
already started: "develop a documentation plan" and "make your results,
data available to others" that could really be fleshed out.

i am happy to volunteer to take any raw notes people put in there and
incorporate them into prose for challenges. and we are also very interested
in general feedback, ideas and participation

thanks!
jessy

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> This is a really valuable discussion. Some quick points:
>
>    - Not everyone is in a University. Those outside are immediately part
>    of the #scholarlypoor. The solution "talk to your institutional repo" is no
>    use for people in an institution
>    - Some IRs are suitable for data. Australia has got its act together
>    (TARDIS, etc.) But in (say) UK there are probably 100-300 institutions and
>    what they offer is very variable.
>    - I suggested OKF because (a) they have several years of running the
>    CKAN repo (b) they have good relations with funders in Europe, especially
>    things like Europeana. (c) they have good relations with gov.* I wasn't
>    suggesting a huge data fortress in Panton Street - that's why I suggested BL
>    - Dryad deals with some aspects of evolution
>    - Sourceforge and its descendants have made software available to the
>    masses. We need the same attitude and provision for data. Not all software
>    is created in universities and nor is all data.
>
> I am not suggesting etabytes but I can certainly see the value of public
> storage for data in - say - amateur (in the bestb sense of the world)
> astronomy, ornithology, land use, meterology, oceanography - whatever.
> Whether it's from the national purse or commerce - who knows.
>
> And if the country is crying out for data mungers (as OKF suggests) then
> this is a really cost-effective investment in on-th-job-training. After all
> we are running a virtual course on data , aren't we?
>

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry