[open-science] Fwd: An Open Letter to the Library Community - from ACS Publications

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:25:01 UTC 2012

Well, time to do an open access letter writing campaign I think.

From: Brandon Nordin <B_Nordin at acs.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:02 AM
Subject: [CHMINF-L] An Open Letter to the Library Community - from ACS
Publications
To: "chminf-l at list.indiana.edu" <chminf-l at list.indiana.edu>

An Open Letter to the Library Community

At ACS Publications, our goal is to provide the most
authoritative and indispensable peer-reviewed research and chemistry
related
information through our portfolio of 41 journals and other publications. We
recognize this is only possible through a committed partnership with you,
our
library customers, and the research communities you support.

We value this partnership and we apologize for our recent failure
to make clear the importance we place on our dialogue with libraries and
scholarly communications departments.  We
aim to do better, and are grateful for the ongoing close consultation and
collaboration we have with libraries and consortia worldwide in helping
shape our
subscription and publishing options as we move from the print past to the
digital present.

As a result of this collaboration, more scientists have
access to more ACS journals through more libraries than at any time during
ACS¹s 136-year history. This year, the ACS Web Editions platform will host
more
than 1,000,000 original articles and will successfully fulfill over 80
million
article requests from the global scientific community. We thank you for
working
with us to make such broad and immediate information access a reality,
particularly in light of the economic stress faced by so many libraries
today.

We realize that no pricing model is ever perfect ­ and that in
this difficult economic era, we have heard your concerns about ensuring
future
access to the essential and highly cited research found in ACS
Publications.  Publishers and libraries have a shared stake
in sustainability: ACS is committed to working with you to refine and
improve
our approach and welcomes an ongoing dialogue with you about library and
research trends, publishing best practices, and shared economic concerns.

Over the next 6 months, we will expand our consultations
with the library community to ensure we have the features, access options,
and
publishing models that meet your expectations and the needs of the
communities
you serve. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call your ACS
Publications representative with any questions, or contact me directly at
brandon.nordin at acs.org to share your concerns and suggestions. More
information
on 2013 renewal options is also available at the Librarian Resource Center
at http://pubs.acs.org.

Thank you for your partnership and for your support of ACS
Publications and the American Chemical Society.

Brandon A. Nordin
Vice President, Sales &
Marketing
ACS Publications