[open-science] Open Research Funding or How the NSF allocates billions of federal dollars to top universities

Ulrich Herb u.herb at scinoptica.com
Mon Oct 8 19:25:16 UTC 2012

Dear List,

this is probably not located at the heart of Open Science, but I guess
it is interesting nevertheless (and a wonderful example for the benefits
of Open Data): The Sunlight Foundation analysed the NSF's funding budget
and detected (not very surprisingly) a strong Matthew-effect:
http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2012/09/13/nsf-funding/

Two money quotes as appetizers:

“Twenty percent of top research universities got 61.6% of the NSF
funding going to top research universities between 2008 and 2011.”

"Even when controlling for other factors, we find that for each
additional employee a university has serving on an NSF advisory
committee that university can expect to see an additional $125,000 to
$138,000 in NSF funding."

Findings like these raise the question to what extent funding is part of
any Open Science scenarios. Perhaps someone on the list knows more abut
Open Funding and is willing to share this information.

Best regards

Ulrich Herb

--
scinoptica science consulting