[open-science] Inside view to the story of an high impact publication

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 09:12:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Susi Toma <toma.susi at aalto.fi> wrote:

>  Dear Peter,

I never tell individuals what they should do - I have the luxury of not
having to worry about h-indexes and tenure committees. If co-authors wish
to publish in closed access journals I won't object.

 Your remarks are welcome and very well taken; perhaps it was an
> exaggeration to talk about open science (although I did write I'm inspired
> and not practicing it, but that's semantics).
>
>  I wonder what term would be better here? Discussing openly what happens
> typically behind closed doors and high in the ivory towers of science is
> surely useful even if it's not strictly open science.

I agreed it was useful! It makes a very strong case for  trying to find a
better solution. And if we can be part of that, great.

>  I'll have to tell you that our senior co-authors were not comfortable
> with even this level of openness, and we had to remove some correspondence
> from the post on their request.

I am not surprised. Chemists want people to cite their work but not
necessarily to read it.

>  So we're pushing as much as we can, but what a wise man once said seems
> to hold still: science advances one funeral at a time.
>
> Max Planck.

 In any case, I appreciate the interest and taking the time to answer in