[open-science] data repository primer?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 03:00:36 UTC 2012

Greetings and thanks for this

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> Please point me toward one or more short introductions, for a
> computational and scientific audience, to current options for data sharing
> and archiving. Why I ask:
>
> I attended a conference today for users and developers of an atmospheric
> model. Mostly it was presentations of research results, but we also had a
> long general meeting about the model, its development, and (mostly) the
> need for related tools and infrastructures. One topic was the need for
> better data sharing and management: we currently tend to physically ship a
> lot of physical hard drives after searching our social networks for folks
> with needed datasets. One response is to start a torrent network, but we
> also need ways/places to archive (preferably searchably). I gave a quick
> OTTOMH talk about some repository options which I'm aware (pangaea.de,
> figshare.com, thedatahub.org) and gave props to OKF.
>
> I'd like to follow that up with pointers to more information (seed the
> discussion, to continue the torrent metaphor :-) and would appreciate your
> advice regarding appropriate sources of information on the topic.
> (Evangelism is OK too: while definitely international, this is a mostly-US
> group which is generally unexposed to open-science norms.)

What follows is my own opinion ...
We are at a very early stage in this and there are no standard approaches.
It differs greatly between disciplines. A few disciplines require data to
be reposited in full (e.g. crystallography). I'd add
http://datadryad.org/to your list.  Figshare was started because there
was no communal solution.

Funders are starting to require data management but they don't say how.

The key thing is that your discipline owns the problem. A good solution
might be a learned society, but this doesnt always work out - IMO the Am
Chem Soc is a problem rather than a solution. A number of journals require
deposition whereas others actively refuse to take data.

P.