[open-science] data repository primer?

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:45:37 UTC 2012

A quick email on scientific data archives (I'm at a conference in North
Carolina atm, so apologies for the conciseness)

In addition to those already mentioned there are:

LabArchives: http://www.labarchives.com/

commercial, have made a deal with BMC to be BMC's data repository for all
future research publications. Press release about this here:
http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2012/04/04/labarchives-and-biomed-central-a-new-platform-for-publishing-scientific-data/

on the theme of torrents, you may be interested in BioTorrents which I
think is for sharing large Biological data & whole dumps of ALL of PLoS
(OA) publications: http://www.biotorrents.net/browse.php It's described in
this PLoS publication:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0010071

finally, some smaller scale, niche data-specific repositories from my
domain:

http://www.morphobank.org/  (phylogenetic morphological character matrices
& images)
http://www.morphbank.net/ (different, just about images really AFAIK)
http://treebase.org/<http://treebase.org/treebase-web/home.html;jsessionid=CD1A9022218AD33385F7A15B7E7BC1DE>
(phylogenetic trees & matrices, but it only has <4% of what's actually
published in the literature which is rather sad - people just don't seem to
submit their data there because the journals tend not to mandate this
process)
http://paleodb.org/ <http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl> (paleontological
data) fairly strict about who can & can't edit/add data to this

Best,

Ross