[open-science] Constructive and positive discussions

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 15:46:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> the intended spirit of this list ... IMO is to develop a constructive
> approach to Open Science. I am disappointed that there has been a public
> accusation of lying - ...
>

> Peter
> (OKFN Advisory Board)

I'd definitely like to see the discussions on this list become more
constructive.  There seems to be a presumption of evil/guilt for entire
classes of organizations and people with a complementary presumption of
sainthood for anyone wears an academic mantle.

Given that the topic of the list is nominally science, it'd be great to see
discussion driven by actual facts.

For those parties who's attitudes and practices we're actively trying to
change, there are many different tactics that can be used.  Continual
browbeating is not necessarily the most effective (or effective at all, in
many cases).  Persuasion comes in many more subtle forms which can be
incredibly effective when used well.

Tom