[open-science] more fox researches hen research - this time in hen's clothing

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Sat Apr 6 22:42:46 UTC 2013

Tom,

Thanks, this is a good point. However, this indicates a contradiction
in the information provided on the survey form.

The preamble says: "Thank you very much for taking part in this study
on European trends in Open Access Publishing by the Oxbridge Biotech
Roundtable, a UK-based student-led organisation. It should take ~7
minutes to complete. Your answers will help us to gain valuable
insight into the Open Access use among academics in your field".

This presents the survey as one conducted by a student-led organization.

The fine print at the bottom of the page says: "Our sponsors pay a fee
to OBR for gathering, aggregating and collecting the data as well as
for preparation of a Summary Report of the data compiled. In
participating in this survey, the participant recognizes that the
information provided in this survey will be used in an industry
aggregate report and therefore grants OBR unrestricted use of this
information".

Both Daniel Perez and Mehmet Fidanboylu in comments here and on my
blog are emphasizing their status as students and listing their
academic affiliations. This is deceptive.

Mehmet says: in a comment on my blog:

May be worth taking a look at these faceless execs shamelessly posing
as students?

Daniel Perez, CEO - "dual-doctorate at Lincoln College, Oxford and The
Scripps Research Institute in California (DPhil, PhD)"...

Mehmet Fidanboylu, CMO - "completing a PhD in neuropharmacology at
King's College London"

It is not appropriate to conduct a survey posing as students at these
institutions when you are actually undertaking commercially sponsored
research.

While we are on the broad topic of transparency, could you explain who
you are and what your interest is, Tom? It's hard to tell from a gmail
account.

I am a professional librarian and scholar, having recently completed a
doctoral dissertation on the topic of scholarly communication and open
access. My interest in this is finding out who is really behind this
survey and what their motivations are.

I've updated my blogpost on this topic and am encouraging Daniel and
Mehmet to actively engage in this discussion as I think it gets at the
heart of the very important topic of the societal need for academic
freedom and independence.

The post can be found here:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2013/04/industry-pretends-to-be-student-led-or.html

I'll update with this information.

best,

Heather Morrison
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogpost.omc