[open-science] more fox researches hen research - this time in hen's clothing

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Sun Apr 7 01:08:01 UTC 2013

Daniel,

Facts - on the survey it says:

Preamble:

"Thank you very much for taking part in this study on European trends
in Open Access Publishing by the Oxbridge Biotech Roundtable, a UK-
based student-led organisation. It should take ~7 minutes to complete.
Your answers will help us to gain valuable insight into the Open
Access use among academics in your field."

Fine print at the bottom:

"Our sponsors pay a fee to OBR for gathering, aggregating and
collecting the data as well as for preparation of a Summary Report of
the data compiled. In participating in this survey, the participant
recognizes that the information provided in this survey will be used
in an industry aggregate report and therefore grants OBR unrestricted
use of this information".

The preamble says that this research is being conducted by a student-
led organization for its own purposes "help us to gain valuable
insight..." while the fine print makes it clear that you are
conducting this research on behalf of industry.

This is not paranoia; this is an industry survey disguised as a
student-led survey. This proves my original point, that this is a
deceptive survey - industry (fox) pretending to be the group studied
(hen).

I encourage you to change the preamble to reflect the nature of the
study. This is a small matter for an opinion study like this. However,
since your group is in biotech (and you are the CEO), I am hoping that
it is obvious to you how problematic it would be to take this approach
with medical research (take money from industry to do research which
is then conducted as a student-led organization but without bothering
with things like research ethics).

Thank you for the information about the students involved in the study
- I fully support well-paid student and graduate employment! I'd still
very much like to know who commissioned the research.

best,

Heather Morrison