[open-science] OKF is doing its best to enable text and data mining research

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 09:33:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

sorry for all the announcements today. A lot is happening at the moment.

Not everyone may realise this but the Open Knowledge Foundation is hugely
influential:

1.) On Monday we were in Brussels at the *Licences For Europe meeting*,
actively participating in the first Text & Data Mining working group
meeting (#Licences4Europe on Twitter). It was largely disappointing that
the discussion was framed at the outset to exclude discussion of the type
of copyright reform many pro-access groups in the room wanted. We hope this
situation will have changed by the next working group meeting. It was
accurately described here:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130204/12241621879/eu-commission-wants-more-copyright-licensing-not-creative-commons-fair-use.shtml

2.) When journalists need quotes from people who know about the state of
open knowledge, we're an excellent organisation to ask!
In the latest edition of Nature I am quoted, representing Open Knowledge
Foundation on the subject of Creative Commons licencing of academic
research:
http://www.nature.com/news/researchers-opt-to-limit-uses-of-open-access-publications-1.12384

The very definition of open access (
http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/openaccess/read)
states that *anyone* must be able to re-use research *without legal barriers
*. Thus NC & ND modules of Creative Commons licences if applied do not make
that research open access, and they can significantly hinder some re-uses
like textmining.
See Joris Pekel's excellent post on some of the problems of NC for more:
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/08/consequences-risks-and-side-effects-of-the-license-module-non-commercial-use-only-2/

Ross

PS I will try and write some of this up in a prettier blogpost on the
science.okfn blog soon.

--
Ross Mounce