[open-science] Health Datapalooza and Big Data seminar

Johanna Goderre johannagoderre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:55:07 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I am new to this list but have been a member of the School of Data for a
few months.  I was chatting with Lucy at OKFN and she suggested these items
might be of interest to this list.

Last week, NIAID held their annual Bioinformatics and Computational
Biosciences Festival on the topic of Data Science: Unlocking the Power of
Big Data.
https://respond.niaid.nih.gov/conferences/bioinformatics2013/Pages/default.aspx

The complete video archive is available at
http://videocast.nih.gov/launch.asp?17798 .  Kirk Borne from George Mason
University and Rick Stevens from Argonne National Laboratory we both
particularly good.

Also, the Health Datapalooza early bird registration is closing March 3.
 This is a conference about using open government data for entrepreneurial
endeavors and the public good.  Registration is at
http://healthdatapalooza.eventbrite.com/#

And just in case this list did not know, Fred Trotter submitted a Freedom
of Information Act to CMS for Medicare data and turned it into an open
research data set on doctor referral practices in the US.
http://strata.oreilly.com/fredt or
http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/tag/fred-trotter/

Regards,
Johanna Goderre
MPH candidate in Community Health Sciences and Informatics, University of
Illinois at Chicago